The case filed by the City of Marion regarding the County and its use of the Old Armory building was dismissed on Monday, August 1st. The suit had been originally filed on April 14th, 2022. The suit dealt with claims by the City that the County had been given the building and neglected it, leaving the City with bills related to storm damage and other expenses. At the time, the County filed for dismissal and Commission Chairman Albert Turner Jr. said he was confident the suit would get dismissed. The building had been in possession of the County for some time and had not been used up until early 2022.
On Tuesday, at the County Commission meeting, Attorney Prince Chestnut announced that the case against the County was dismissed. He told the commission that while it seemed possible that the City could, at this time, he had heard nothing more regarding the matter. For now, this closes what was and could have been a tumultuous matter between the City of Marion and the County.