After four months of training, the Running Rams showed out at the AHSAA 2A Section 2 Sectionals competition and proved that all their hard work has not been in vain. The ladies placed 1st out of 10 teams. The men placed 2nd out of 11 teams. Below are the top 8 performances that scored points for each team:
- Elanna Lewis placed 4th in the 100 meter.
- Zy’Tashia Moore won the 300 meter hurdles. She currently has the fastest time in all of 2A and could win state in her event next weekend.
- Yasmine Murphy placed 3rd in the 300 meter hurdles and 4th in the 800 meter.
- Le’Naya Essex won the 400 meter, placed 2nd in the long jump, and 2nd in the triple jump.
- Ke’Lashia Shelton placed 2nd in the 400 meter.
- Jamecia Hurt placed 3rd in the 400 meter and won the high jump.
- Amariyah Smith placed 6th in the 800 meter.
- Tricia Suttle placed 7th in the discus, 2nd in the javelin, and 4th in the shot put.
- LaChelsea Moore placed 3rd in the javelin and won the shot put.
- A’Naja Tubbs placed 3rd in the shot put.
- Tracianna Moore placed 5th in the triple jump.
- Asia Clemons placed 6th in the triple jump.
- The girls 4×100 meter relay won. (Zy’Tashia Moore, Elanna Lewis, Ke’Lashia Shelton, Antashay Wilson)
- The girls 4×400 meter relay won. (Ke’Lashia Shelton, Antashay Wilson, Jamecia Hurt, Le’Naya Essex)
- Yamorion Jones placed 2nd in the 100 meter and 4th in the 200 meter.
- Omarion Rutledge placed 5th in the 100 meter and 5th in the 200 meter.
- Kingston Hinton placed 6th in the 110 meter hurdles and 5th in the 300 meter hurdles.
- Elmer Collins placed 5th in the 400 meter and 8th in the 800 meter.
- Jamarian Essex placed 7th in the 800 meter and 5th in the 1600 meter.
- Tyler Billingsley placed 4th in the discus and 6th in the shot put.
- Johnny Hudson placed 8th in the discus and 2nd in the shot put.
- Jarius Smith placed 5th in the high jump, 7th in the long jump, and won the triple jump.
- Deldrick Shelton placed 6th in the high jump and 5th in the long jump.
- Devon Mayhand placed 2nd in the long jump and 4th in the triple jump.
- The boys 4×100 meter relay placed 2nd. (Deldrick Shelton, Omarion Rutledge, Devon Mayhand, Yamorion Jones)
The boys 4×400 meter relay won. (Deldrick Shelton, Devon Mayhand, Elmer Collins, Jarius Smith)
The following individuals qualified to compete at the 2A State Championship at Cullman High School May 5-6: Elanna Lewis, Zy’Tashia Moore, Yasmine Murphy, Le’Naya Essex, Jamecia Hurt, Ke’Lashia Shelton, Antashay Wilson, Asia Clemons, Tracianna Moore, A’Naja Tubbs, Tricia Suttle, LaChelsea Moore, Yamorion Jones, Omarion Rutledge, Kingston Hinton, Elmer Collins, Javion Miree, Jamarian Essex, Tyler Billingsley, Johnny Hudson, Jarius Smith, Devon Mayhand, and Deldrick Shelton. 23 athletes in total.